From This Day Forward

From This Day Forward

Thursday, March 1, 2012

United as one

As I sit here at the computer its 9 am and I am groggily sipping my cup of coffee while Gracie runs circles around the house as though she got to the pot of coffee before I even woke up.

I thought that I would be able to blog about my experience as if I was writing in a journal. In which a way to express myself and look back at my experience and see where I came from and how much I have grown. But as I type I realize that there are just some things that you can’t tell the whole world. I can however make requests.

So my blog today is a request.

Steve and I stayed up until 2 am last night talking about our thoughts and intentions, our passions and our hearts desire. (This is why I am groggy at 9am, Gracie woke up at 7!). As we sat last night we realized at this point our hearts are in two very different spots and have never really had to overcome something like this before.

So I ask for you to pray. Pray that the Lord would unite our hearts. That he would give us similar passions and desires for our life. Pray that we would not have feelings of resentment or fear, but that we would live our last month here with certainty and gratitude.

I also ask that as you read this not to take it as though Steve and I are not enjoying our time here. We have come to a real appreciation and love for the country and its people.

Please also pray that Steve would be able to give CPR certifications. We found out this morning that there is a form you must fill out to teach overseas and it takes 6 weeks to process. He specifically asked about this before we left and was not told about this form until this morning. He has already given his word that he would certify the clinic employees and we pray that he could do this in good conscious. We have also spent nearly $1,000 of our money for him to have gone through this class to be able to certify people so I pray that our money would not have been used in vein.

On a brighter note we got to go to Amumu this last Wednesday. Amumu is the roasting of a pig and vegetables under the ground like they would do in Hawaii when you think of a Lu’au. This was a fun experience and we were so excited to be invited.

I was also presented with an opportunity to go for a helicopter ride, but with much regret I had to decline as I had already made a previous engagement; such a disappointment. As you can see, since I am blogging about it!

Last Sunday after service Steve got to go paragliding, and for some reason I felt some envy well up within me. I so wanted to go, but of course someone had to stay with the baby. The main guy that does the paragliding does have a tandem (wing I guess you would call it?) and I hope to be able to go before we leave.

Tonight we will be having our friends the Pennington family over for dinner. Ryan (The husband) grew up in Gig Harbor through Jr. High and they have a little girl about 11 months older than Gracie, these girls have so much fun together. The Penningtons also have a 6 month old son. Anyway we met Ryan on the plan our first day coming into Ukarumpa and have found their friendship invaluable while here.

Tomorrow we have someone coming to baby sit Gracie while we get a chance to go see the play that the HS is putting on. Sherlock Holms. I am so excited as this would not be something that Steve would agree to do if we were back in the states. Although….I did get him to take myself and our moms to see Mary Poppins last year in Seattle! (Don’t tell him I said that ☺

Please know that my heart misses you all. If you read this blog your have been a vital and important part of our lives. We love to hear from each and every one of you and to know that you are praying for us helps so much. So please don’t be shy to leave a message it is a blessing to us!

Love Becky, Steve and Gracie

5 comments:

  1. I love you all and am praying for you. I have faith that everything will all work it's self in time. Enjoy your final month, live every experience to the fullest and remember you are very loved!!
    All our love, muah!
    The Smith fam:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi beck, i will keep this request in my heart and keep praying for God's guidance. i can relate, really. perhaps when you guys come back, you can seek counsel about the matter. there is a lot of things to consider in taking the next step. anyways, i am very glad that God opened the door for you guys to be there. i am very proud of you for embracing the culture, food, etc., given the fact that you came from a rich country, with all the comforts of life. my experience in thailand was hard, and i grew up in a third. it should have been easy for me, right? nope! but you, you are tougher than me. hooray for you. tom and i really love you and steve. i praised God for the bond we have for each other, regardless of our age gap, ha ha ha ha. take care and looking forward to your return. mercy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Tracey and I love you and you're all three in our daily prayers. I miss you and I'm ready for you to come home.
    Uncle Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course keeping you in my prayers, always. I do have an idea- blog for us, but please DO journal for YOU. I love that you like to tell all of us how things are, what makes it different from home, etc. but I think this experience is so much more for you guys...MUCH more. It really should be about your journey as humans. With each day write down your feelings, wishes etc. what you are happy with and what you want to work on. I think no way can anyone truly be a totally "open book", as much as they'd like to be at times. At the same time, I think it will be great to have and look back on and even read throughout the rest of your life. Great to keep up on, even in small bits after you get home. It's a way to get your feelings out, and after awhile to see how far you've come, and how much you've grown as a person.

    Wishing you all the best.
    Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is a late response, but still wanted you to know we're praying for you, Steve, and Gracie. We've actually been thinking/praying/talking a lot about similar things like our desires and vision. God is working in us all. Praying that He gives us His vision, and that we obey. I know that whatever fears we have about His plan He will put to rest as we follow Him. Love you all so much, can't wait to visit when you return!! ~Naomi

    ReplyDelete