Good afternoon from PNG.
This afternoon Steve is now taking a cat nap and Gracie has fallen asleep on the floor near me even though she just recently woke up form a 2 hour nap.
Today was Gracie’s first day in daycare in her entire life. Steve said she whaled when he left her, but when I went to pick her up she was dazed and tired. I’m not quite sure if she played hard or if she cried the whole time. The ladies at the daycare said she was fine after daddy left her sight. I pray that this is true.
The reason Gracie was in daycare was because this was my first week working as a nurse in PNG. Originally I thought I would work, then I thought they wouldn’t need me, then again finally it was decided that I would work Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8-12 seeing as that is when daycare is open, (half days).
This last weekend we were able to get out of the gate and I was able to see a little bit of what PNG is really like. It really is a beautiful country lush and green, warm and colorful. We went to Yaunke dam where we had a nice picnic lunch and were able to swim for several hours. This was very enjoyable and we were glad that we went (and I got lots of pictures of Gracie naked swimming in a brown lake).
It was then time for our valentine’s dinner, which was much joy. The 11th grade class set up a room on center to be like a restaurant. The class worked by waiting the tables and cooking the food. It was very well decorated and had my wedding pictures of those that have been here for a while.
Last night we went to a friend of ours that is a National but works for BTA (Bible Translation Association) They were very sweet and made us a home made dinner PNG style. WE ate on the floor and had many different types of potatoes, fruit, chicken and veggies; most of which they grew themselves. Because the wife is employed by BTA they have housing and a steady income. This is unusual in PNG. Since we have been here many people have asked to work for us. While it is not expensive to hire them one only has so many jobs. The PNG people often see white skins as a mode to receive something because we are very wealthy compared to them. So this friendship we have made that we have made as equals is very nice and refreshing. Also not very common here, so we are so blessed to have them to dinner tonight.
Other than this we have continued to be welcomed and have had several dinners/lunches by various families that have been all so wonderful in their own way.
Please continue to pray for us as we have 7 more weeks in PNG
- Please pray that we will continue to seek what the Lord has in store for us
- That we would be a blessing to those that are here
- Our skills would be beneficial and helpful while we are in Ukarumpa
- That when we travel to Garoka next month that the Lord would watch over us and keep us safe.
We love you all very much and are blessed to have the support from home as we are in this far off place. As I enjoy my time here more and more each day, I can’t help but be excited to reunite with our friends and family in April!
xoxo
~Becky
Monday, February 20, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment